Thursday, March 8, 2007

Junior and my trip to the ER


This is Junior. I owned him for about 5 weeks. I had a gelding, my first horse, for about 6 years at the time when I decided to sell him, simply because he had my number. Trainer after trainer after trainer. It was me and he knew it. So imagine my excitement with cash in my pocket from the sale of Dakota and the prospect of a new, nicer, easier for me to handle, horse I "accidentally" bought at the local auction house. Guess I should have had a clue if the Trail Riding Business was selling him, but I appreciate the confidence my best friend and her boyfriend had in my abilities even if I didn't. They're much more experienced and confident than I am. Never the less,I had great hope for this one and we started off great. Only having bought him 3 days earlier, I took him on a huge trail ride with my friends. Found out he didn't like crossing water, not even a mud puddle, but we managed it, Junior and I had a successful trail ride, water crossing, bellering mules and a huge combine coming down the road after us when we got separated from the pack. I felt great! Another successful ride and then another. I hadn't ridden him in 2 weeks and decided to just have a quick ride in the training pen. He was acting up when I saddled him, so my husband came out to give me a hand. I got on and trotted off around the pen. I think I was only seconds into it and man could this big boy buck! My husband said he launched me about 11 foot in the air. I think I was flying by about the third buck and landed with a bang on my side. Junior kept on bucking. After my husband got him caught and locked in the paddock, I still layed there. I wiggled toes and fingers and ok, neck and spine still intact. My husband asked if he should call an ambulance. I said, "Give me a minute, let me lay here and smoke a cigarette and have a diet coke and think about it" Since I was still in excruciating pain, I decided that I had better take that ride to the ER. Seven hours later after an IV, CT scan, chest x-ray and a whole lot of pain meds, I hobbled out of the ER in a hospital gown, cowboy boots and my jacket ( too painful to get my britches back on). I was out of work for a week. So Junior went to a new home, because I wasn't going to try that again.

4 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Ouch! I understand that being too sore to put britches back on. Been there, done that and hope I never have to again. I hope you never have to again either.

Anonymous said...

wow sounds like you had quite a day :)

Anonymous said...

Hey
Thanks for sharing this story with me again; you are crazy! Horses scare the hell out of me....their heads are so big - hahahaha. See ya at work:) Becki

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I've been there too. I had two minor concussions last year. My goal is no concussions in 2007!