Sunday, August 26, 2007

Almost Weaning Time

EMMA ROXANNE

I've decided not to wean the girls yet. Emma is 4 1/2 months old and Roxanne is about 3 1/2 months old. Both of their mothers are holding their weight and truly adore the girls. The boys are the same ages as these two. They have older mothers who seem to let them be more independent and they are really dropping in weight. I have them on double grain, I think it is because they are older. I usually wean between 5 and 6 months. I take into consideration how the foal is doing, the mares weight and some mares make it easy for me by starting to push the babies away a little bit as they get further along in their pregnancies. I have to get more batteries then I can get pictures of the boys. I plan on weaning Cash and Coakco Labor Day weekend. I wanted to call him Loakco, my friend Sue wants to buy him so now he is Coakco.

4 comments:

Kathy C said...

Thanks for the post about weaning. Our first foal isn't due until April, but I like to read up and find out as much as possible.

Rising Rainbow said...

I usually wean mine around 6 months and like you I take into consideration how the mare looks, how the foal is doing, all of that stuff.

It will be fun to see new pics of the boys. When is the one going to his new home? Selling them is a good thing........wish I did a bit more of it. lol

Twisted Oaks Quarter Horses said...

How exciting, the first is always a mixture of excitement and border line fear. A person would have thought I was having the baby. I read articles, watched videos and asked questions. The best advice I can give is that each mare and baby is different, try to watch and see how they act towards each other. Some babies I weaned in the pasture next to the mares, others in a stall for a few days. I had one pair that were still together after 6 months because the filly would jump fences to get back to her mom. That was my hardest one. I finally sent the mare to my boyfriend's house. She then attached her self to the other colt. I weaned them from each other this year at 2 years old. For the most part it is usually the mare that gets more upset. I prefer to wean them next to mom.

Anonymous said...

Wow I love your blog. I hope you and your horses continue to grow and be successful partners. Feel free to check out my blogs at http://www.horsegalore.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=9&Itemid=362