Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Doofuses!


Well, today is our only dry day once again, as it will be drizzling and pouring rain the next couple of days. Just as things were finally getting dry, it rained and stormed all day yesterday. So here we are in mud land again! Feeling guilty about it, I decided that since it will probably be another week before I can spread seed, I'd let the girls out one more time. Misty barrelled up and down the pasture and Kola bounced as she does. I should have had the camera with me at the time as it's quite comical to watch, but then you'd hear me screaming at them to stop and Fido barking, just encouraging them more. Sliding mud stops just inches from me as I was cleaning troughs. After the first couple of runs, I thought they'd settle in, but they kept on going. Kola bouncing like an animated character of some sort (Kola reminds of Peppy Le Pu, you know when he's bouncing down the street) and Misty pretending to be a wild Mustang. Both snorting and Misty even with a huge cough. I finally gave in and brought out one flake of hay to split between them, hoping that food would divert their attention elsewhere other than tare arsing around and of course it did. Gosh, it scares me when it's still slick out there and they feel the need for speed. Misty ate a little and found her muddy rough area to roll in. It really is mixed emotions watching, hilarious, yet nerve racking!

4 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Callie, I totally relate and worry about the slippery mud, too! Our arena gets so soupy and we don't have good draining in our footing yet, so one corner will be dry and the other slick. I always put my boots on my gelding when working him but when he starts to get nuts on the lounge line I just panic he's going to wipe out and injure himself. The pasture is no better and other than handwalking him on a gravel driveway, there is no place else to work him. And he does need to be worked as he stocks up in the hind legs. Anyway, spring is around the corner for us all, I hope!!! Hang in there.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I get really nervous when they race around on the slick surfaces too. They probably know it's going to rain for the next couple of days so are getting it all out now.

Callie said...

Yeah, they really gave it some wellie today! They've settled down since this morning and are now wedged against the fence sunning themselves. Kola looks especially funny since the goats ate her tail. She raises her tail straight up in the air and with not much their, OMG!, it looks so silly!

Rising Rainbow said...

It really makes me nervous when they're slipping and sliding. You just have to trust that they'll be sensible.