Thursday, May 1, 2008

I Thought This Was A Good Idea


This idea came to me from Victoria at Teachings of The Horse when I had written the post about What Happens To Them. Victoria left a comment about putting a feeding schedule up in her barn so that even if something minor had happened and she wasn't able to get home to feed, the instructions would be there and available for someone to take over. What a great idea, I thought. So I created one to hang in my feed shed and I also identified each horse with a small photo. I sealed it in a sandwich bag for protection and detailed the horses and goats feeding instructions. This will be handy when Steve and I take small vacations or drive down to Missouri for a couple of days to pick Zoe up from University. I also created an animal identity page, since we have so many to hang on the fridge with a picture of each creature from outdoor to indoor and their name, so that a neighbor may know them. I know Victoria has something like this, Does anyone else have one of these?

9 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Not me, but it sounds like a good plan. I do have video with all the horses and a list that goes with it to tell who is who.

kdwhorses said...

I do not have one posted in the barn, need to do that. But my good friend knows each of the horses and what they eat and there habits. She went to Dallas a couple of months ago and wound up in the hospital, so I feed her animals for about a week and she had a chart in her barn and on the frig. Of course I knew each animal and there behaviors, it helped out so much to have someone that knew them and how to take care of them. Great idea, thanks for reminding me!

Callie said...

Mikael & KDW, I have to give all credit to Victoria. But it will save time and worry and just couldn't hurt.

Victoria Cummings said...

Thanks for crediting me, Callie - I hope it helps other people and their horses - Your original post about what would happen if.... was really important too - just got me thinking about all this stuff again.

Callie said...

No problem, Victoria, Thanks for the idea! I went out there this afternoon to post it in the shed and groom the girls.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great idea Callie, and Victoria, I will make one of these feeding schedules and post it in the feed shed. We have all of the horses names and medical information on their barn doors, but it wouldn't hurt to have one consolidated and posted in the tack room too.

Callie said...

GHM, I popped a little 1"x2" photo of each horse next to their feed instructions. That way a stranger isn't confused either.

Mrs. Mom said...

The only thing I can add ladies, is emergency ID on the halters. Well, OK, so YOU dont have hurricanes up there Callie... A friend of mine in VA gave me this idea- she put ID, phone numbers, (owner, vet, etc etc,) name and address of barn, name of horse, etc, in a ziptop baggie and duct taped it onto the cheek piece of the halter. In case of emergency, and the horses get out, there is info there on where they go and how to contact people.

Seems like a good diea to me, and we have done the same here. When bad storms hit, I put halters on and leave them until the storm passes. And I pray like crazy that we never have need for the info there!

Callie said...

Oh That is a good idea, Mrs.Mom, We do get tornados, though. That is a good idea!