Friday, June 6, 2008

It's Hot and Humid


It's hot and humid today, Jeremiah was here to trim the girls and they both had considerable attitudes. Most embarrassing. Because of the heat and humidity, the flies are now out, but not like they've been in the past, however, one fly is too many for the girls. Kola got skunked the other day and inspite of my efforts to clean, when Jeremiah lifted her right front to trim, I heard, "Geezus, did Kola get skunked?" and then the fresh aroma of skunk wafted upward and I said, " I thought she had, but couldn't quite decide where it was coming from." As I've mentioned once before, we have to throw the hoof trimmings out right away because Kola will pick one up and dig into the dirt with it and attempt to eat it and sure enough, we missed one and there she was playing with the trimming and then making the funny face sniff, lips all curled and head pointed up into the air...........I ask why? Why does she try and eat hoof trimmings? Does anybody know?

14 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

We are supposed to be in for temps in the 90's starting tomorrow, but it's 58 today, crazy weather.I feel bad for the poor horse that was skunked,my dog Maggie was skunked one time and it took me over a month to get the smell out. Tomato juice does not work. Never saw a horse who liked hoof trimmings, only my dogs try to nab them, I think that's pretty unusual for a horse, but I could be wrong. Maybe she just has discriminating taste.

Callie said...

LOL, Arlene, I know how wierd is this horse?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Wow-I had to reread that...I was going to say "all dogs like hoof trimmings" but then I realized it was your mare. I have never seen or heard of a horse that liked hoof trimmings.

Got yourself a strange little mare there Callie-LOL.

Anonymous said...

Dunno, but Fergie (Prince Andrew's former) used to have a chap suck her big toe! No? Sorry, but that's as near as I can get.
PS. Don't know why she didn't just wash it the same as everybody else!

Callie said...

BECS, I know , it's weird!

Dickiebo, What the hell?...LMAO!

BarnGoddess said...

omg, how weird! does she like pig ears too?

Callie said...

LOL, BG, I don't think I'll try that, but she probably would!

cdncowgirl said...

Our farrier was out today and I asked him about horses eating their trimmings. He's never seen it or even heard of it himself.
His best guess would be she is missing something in her diet (mineral?)

Callie said...

cdn, We've thought that as well, but when she attempts it, I actually thinks it's more like a game to her, cuz she plays with it first and it becomes a game to try and take it away from her.

Trailboss said...

My 2 Boxers eat the hoof trimming all of the time. In fact they love my farrier as he always leaves delicious treats for them. I have not however, ever heard of a horse eating them. I do love it though when they thru their lip up. It cracks me up every time!

Rising Rainbow said...

She want to be a nail biter. Only she can't get her feet in her mouth so must wait for you to cut them for her. lol silly horse.

Unknown said...

Hello,
My American is too poor to understand what happens. Does the horse skunk because of the flies ? Do the flies give a desease to the horse that makes it skunk ?
If you have time, please explain to me.

Callie said...

LOL, Mikael, She is a goofus!


Potraits, Oh, LOL, You are too cute, A skunk is a small wild animal that usually is black and white. Pepe Le Pu, And it sort of resembles a kitty and when one gets too close to it, it sprays a very nasty smell froms it's bottom and I'm assuming that Kola investigated the striped kitty and it sparyed her with said perfume!

Callie said...

trailboss, I crack up at the lip curl every time too!