Monday, June 9, 2008

A Skunk!




I'm writing this for our European friends as I don't think that they have the mispleasure of ever having to deal with the torrid and rather smelly skunk. This is especially for you, Portraits de chevaux , our French friend, who asked me to explain a skunk as Kola had recently been skunked!
"skunk

1.
a. Any of several small, mostly carnivorous New World mammals of the genus Mephitis and related genera, having a bushy tail and black fur with white markings and ejecting a foul-smelling oily liquid from glands near the anus when frightened or in danger. Also called polecat.
b. The glossy black and white fur of this mammal.
2. Slang
a. A person regarded as obnoxious or despicable.
b. A person whose company is avoided.
tr.v. skunked, skunk·ing, skunks Slang
1. To defeat overwhelmingly, especially by keeping from scoring.
2.
a. To cheat (someone).
b. To fail to pay (an amount due)."
Which will then lead me to my next post...............

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, we don't have these in France ... I suggest we keep it that way :D
Karen

Callie said...

LOL, Karen, Yes and requires exorbinant amounts of tomato juice to wash away the smell!

cdncowgirl said...

IF you're lucky enough that it was something washable (ie the dog) that was spayed!

What would you do if your tack was sprayed? (**knocking wood to prevent tack being sprayed** lol)

Rising Rainbow said...

I didn't know a polecat was another name for a skunk!

It's been a long time since I was around anything that was skunked. I sure hope it stays that way. Just thinking about it makes my nose wrinkle up and my face pucker.........yuck!!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much Callie ! Now I understand what happened. As we have no skunks here, I had not imagined this could merely happen in a field.
The problem of the crowd who follows a leader exists everywhere. It's a pity that the people do not think by themselves. I do not know Mickey's blog. I'll visit it. See you soon.

Callie said...

No problem, Portraits, glad I could help!