Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Afternoon............The Tidbits


First, Here's our little grandson, Joseph, modeling his American wear, that Grandpa Stephen & Nanny Callie bought for him from the Bass Pro Shop, amongst a whole bunch of other clothing & a couple of toys we just couldn't resist! Isn't the cutest!


The girls, were acting a bit concerned out in the pasture and were on high alert when I went down the stairs to call them in for dinner..............


Still concerned, but contemplating coming in.......................


Well, nothing much stop Kola from eating, hence, we'll start the Thyro-L for awhile once again. It's on order.........


She only stopped to come out and investigate because I snuck up on her to take a photo not in my usually place. And because Misty is clearly over concerned about what is lurking in the high cornfield at the end of the pasture, in spite of my best efforts to get her to eat, Kola ended up with a double whack of feed and literally a "hay day"! Not what she needs.


As something has Misty concerned and she refused to go in and eat. It took all of me to convince her to leave the pasture of which she was annoyed with me.

Clearly something is out there, even though I can't see it or hear it. Misty even had a loose poop over it once in. I guess I'll have to keep my ears open for coyotes tonight. Hopefully she'll settle down and eat some hay as we all know Kola doesn't need the extra.
On other news, I have pretty much winterized the horses. Did a thorough super bleach of the big trough and added the working heater. Good thing too as if was 25* this morning when I left from work. Their winter blankets are ready, however, I'll not put those on until it really gets frigid. Most likely, Misty will be wearing hers earlier because it doesn't take much for her to shiver, but since Miss Kola still has a little fat of the land to live off, we'll let her burn a bit of that off before she dons her blanket. They've both had their fall check-ups with their flu-rhino shots this week and I did the full monty wormer, including that for tapeworms. I've also replaced one of my tarps on the north side of the arena for northerly wind block/ goat eating horse tails, as often they prefer to stand there rather than in their shelter. I will wait a month or so before I start spreading straw in the their shelter and their standing/ nap areas. For the most part we're ready, well , at least the horses and goats are. Stephen & I still have a little bit of winterizing of the house to do before it really sets in, including a little bit of roofing/ deck over the garage. Oh Joys!

10 comments:

Tracey said...

Isn't he just cute as a button! And I'll venture to guess the best dressed grandson on the blog, too!

Grey Horse Matters said...

There's always so much work to do to get ready for winter. Sounds like you have a head start on it though.
Wonder what she's looking at or hearing in the field. Must be very interesting for her to miss her dinner.
Your grandson is adorable, hope you get to see him in person soon. I know how you feel about buying toys and clothes, I do the same thing for my little ones.

Jeni said...

Aww very cute grandson!!! Can I hire ya'll to come winterize my little barn? So much work to do and so little time.

Mrs. Mom said...

Awww! He is fricken adorable Callie!!! Squeeze him from me please!!!

The girls look wonderful. I feel for you with winter setting in, and remember all the prep all too well.

And yep, it was 90* here again today. (Don't hate me for it please!)

Jean said...

He is a adorable. And what a great smile!!

Winter...ack, don't remind me. My brain is not ready for it, let alone my body. The farm...well, I don't really have to do much there except sort out the water heaters to be sure I know what's working.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your grandson is precious...and quite stylish, too!

Sound like your getting prepared for winter...I suspect it's going to be a doozy...but I hope I'm wrong.
Always enjoy seeing pics of your horses. When I look at Kola I always see my Baby Doll. hehe!

~Lisa

ps Thanks for your nice comment on my Sunday Stills post. Just wanted to say that I don't have or use Photoshop, though. In my post I mentioned that all of those photos were edited using Picnik Premium, which is what I was gifted by another blogger buddy for my birthday. Very generous of her!
But I wanted to say that, while Photoshop maybe hard, Picnik is easey peasey to use. Try it for free and see what I mean :)

photogchic said...

Love that little red head...so cute.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

He sure is a cute little guy!!! I wonder what your horse is seeing/hearing out there (??).....

Midlife Mom said...

What an adorable grandson Callie!!! He is a real cutie and I love the outfit! Don't you just love shopping for him?!

Did you ever find out what was out in the cornfield?

Victoria Cummings said...

What a darling little guy! Congrats on the winterizing. I'm way behind and every day, I say I'm going to do it, but I don't get to it. My girls hear and see ghosts in the woods too - more often it's deer than coyotes. They're worried about anyone who might poach their grass.