Monday, March 22, 2010

This Dipstick


I tell ya, if it isn't one thing , it's another. Yesterday evening, Stephen went outside to feed the girls for me and sure enough, he comes in, "You better check Misty, she hurt her leg again." "Hurry, Darling". Good grief, I thought and sure enough, a three legged horse. And just after a relatively clean bill of health. Stephen helped me get her into the stall. I gave her a dose of Banamine and filled up the water and hay and proceeded to poultice her knee, yet once again. By this morning, she already looks better and really wants out and spit her expensive Banamine dose out at me. I scooped it up with my finger and forced it on her. Too bad, she will stay install rest again until I think she can handle the outdoors. I'm not sure what she did it on this time as things have really melted around here. It does look better this morning already. I'm hoping that this is merely a minor set back. I doubt very much that I will ride Misty this year at all. Think I will rest her a good long time.

13 comments:

cheyenne jones said...

Jeez! You`re right, its the same here at times. Its quiet for ages, then all hell breaks loose. Seems to run in three`s. Hope you dont have anymore trouble. And Best wishes to Misty!

Stephanie - Siouxzeegirl Designs said...

Hope Misty recovers quickly!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Hope it turns out to be no big deal. She may have just taken a wrong step and it will be fine in a few days. Good luck.

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

ugh, i hate those words when it comes to horses: "Hurry darling"
- The Equestrian Vagabond

Mrs. Mom said...

That goofy mare!!! Tell her I said to behave ;)

Callie said...

The good news is this morning finds Misty's knee NOT swollen and her moving forward. I'm guessing the ole mare tweaked it. I've ordered glucosamine for her & will start it as soon as it shows on my doorstep!

Jeni said...

Well that's good news indeed! Goofy Horses!

Jean said...

Sometimes after an acute injury the tissues are more sensitive in that area and can react to a small trauma. Could be she just gave herself a little bump.

Glad to hear it looks better already.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

That is just awful!!! It is probably a good idea to let her rest for the season....Hope she gets better soon.

Unknown said...

Glad it's not too serious and hope she's feeling better soon!

Victoria Cummings said...

That's good news about Misty's knee not being swollen. Banamine can be a miracle drug. I think you're smart not to ride her and stress it out. And it sounds like good news about Kola and the Cushings scare too. I'm so glad.corne

Rising Rainbow said...

Geez Luize! You just can't get a break with this mare. Sorry to hear this happened.

Twisted Oaks Quarter Horses said...

Starting Misty on glucoasamine is a great idea. You can get a shot from the vet to jump start her, it will take 2 weeks for the supplement to kick in. Spider wouldn't be able to show if he wasn't on it. I have 2 on it and 2 more will go on it now that they are home from the trainers. When she is sound, it would be a good idea to at least walk her. If you don't use something, you lose it. I'm stiff every morning and have to move around a little bit to work out the pain. I'm on glugosamine and would hardly be able to walk if I wasn't. Give me an hour or so and I can run with the youngsters. As soon as the weather gets warm and not so damp, I will be fine. Misty will be too.