Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pretty Sure.................


We've now moved from Equine Metabolic Syndrome to Cushing's. Kola grew enormous lengths of hair over this winter in spite of efforts made to keep her diet in check and her weight down. I have kept her weight and she comes in at a normal body of about 5, although in the pics it's hard to tell with over growth of hair. I actually used the dog hair rake on her to pull the clumps and matted hair off of her.


On a good note the worst of it came out easily,however there are a lot of wispy long and I mean long hair left and some curls. I think I'll be going through several blades this year to shave her. I'll have her Vet out in a couple of  weeks for their shots,teeth and exams. We'll go from there whether she'll need other supplements or any meds.


I have changed them both over to Purina Senior pelleted food this winter. I was getting sick of the Equibalancer crumbling to powder. They seem to like it and it contains things that are better for my older girls. I've also found a new hay guy, still in the family from my old hay guy and I like what I get, It's so compact and good that I can make a bale last minimally two days, sometimes longer.

5 comments:

dickiebo said...

Gosh! Long time no see! Welcome!

Eli Rotello said...

That is a beautiful horse.

Kaylee said...

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you with all that hair. Best of luck with the vet visit! Caring for a senior can certainly have its ups and downs.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Nice to see you back. The girls look great.

Savvy Horsewoman said...

I'd love hear an update. I'm dealing with (possible) Cushings here too.