Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It's Been A Long While Since I Posted.........


So, Here's an update.........I had no need to shave Kola this year..........My success with managing her Cushings or Pre-Cushings condition was all with weight. I was able to restrict her food. I've switched to Purina Senior  Feed for both of the girls, giving them only 6 ounces each twice a day and I've found a good 50/50 sometimes 40/60 alfalfa-grass mix with some decent nutrients in it. Depending on the size of the flake and how weighty it feels in my arms, they get any where from two to three flakes to split between them twice a day. Maybe even a little less during the summer months when the pasture is open to them. Also keeping a mineral block available to them at all times. I have been able to keep them both at a body score of  "5". Keeping Kola's weight down and keeping them on a strict diet has made the world of difference. I didn't even have to give Kola any meds this past spring and as I said earlier no shaving of hair. A lot of grooming to get the winter fuzz off  last spring. I feel that this diet has done the task.




These are their new Winter jackets. I'm not sure how they'll pan out. They are a Saxon Brand. I have never tried them before. They're a 1200 denier and boast a teflon outer shell that completely repels water and outside elements, however they do not seem to have any fiber fill, although a nylon lining. Last night's wind chills were in the low teens and neither of them seemed cold this morning. So I wonder if these will do for our harsh cold winters here in Wisconsin or will I need a fiber filled stable blanket under them for the real cold days. Does anyone know anything about this Saxon brand out there? I'd like to hear about it, if you have.


One reason I've been busy is that Zoe, our daughter just got married on November 1st.. We've been very busy with the Wedding plans through out the summer and as soon as I have the professional photos back, I'll post them. Also we had been waiting the arrival of another grandson in the UK. He came just about a week before Zoe's Wedding. Rebecca and Jim have a new healthy baby boy named Alex and our little Joseph at 4yrs old has started school. It sounds as if he's already becoming a great big brother to Alex. Hopefully we'll get back to the UK in April to visit with all of them. And of course, Thomas's little girl, our UK grand-daughter is already two yrs old. They all grow so fast. Hopefully next April. Business hasn't been as good as we hoped and my paycheck is sucked up by the cost of Health Insurance. Ugh!


3 comments:

C-ingspots said...

So good to hear from you! Congratulations on the new family addition and the marriage of your daughter. Wow, life never slows down, does it? Wonderful that you've got your horse's problems managed with diet. It's always nice when you don't have to use meds. I have a cushings mare too and just started pergolide, but she's 29 years old and her weight is good, so all in all, she's doing pretty good. Hope you do get to make that trip come April. Health care costs are insane and I'm not sure they're going to get any better. *sigh*

cheyenne jones said...

Hi Callie, re these Saxon brand rugs. we use them a lot over here in the UK. You probably know we have rain most of the winter! So I use the 600 den rug, no fill, but water repellent. Reason? While keeping water off, it doesnt let the horse over heat if the weather warms up on the odd day. They dont cause sweating, and they are easy to clean. Plus I find they are not too expensive. The seams dont leak like some do, last winter we had plenty of snow, and ice, temps got to -12c not cold by your standards, but when I ran my hand under the rug on each horse, they were really warm and snug! but for me the best thing about these rugs, is the wind resistance. And lets face it, thats what gets to a horse, wind and the wet.

Callie said...

Thanks, Cheyenne, I did read a lot of good reviews before I bought them. Last night it got to 10*F & this is before Winter. We can get well below 0*F in Jan/Feb , but I think these blankets will work. Worse comes to worse, I can throw a stable blanket under them.