Tuesday, March 6, 2007

New Forest Ponies

feeding carrots to new forest ponies
ears back ran out of carrots

My husband reminded me of a funny story that happened back in November of 2000. My husband is British and when we first met, we took turns traveling back and forth to see each other. So this was my first trip to the United Kingdom and my husband, knowing how horse crazy I am, thought it would be fun to take us to the New Forest where the wild New Forest ponies run free through the forest and the villages, the roads, everywhere. I was excited and thought this was so cool. I made him stop at a local grocer so I could purchase a bag of carrots. You see I had this brilliant idea that with a bag of carrots I could get up close and personal with the "wild" ponies. And I did. And that was great until I ran out of carrots. My now step-son, Tom, 14 years old at the time and I ran out of carrots. Let me just say this....... It is never good to run out of carrots while feeding the wild New Forest ponies.....They get really pissed! Needless to say, Tom and I ran back to the car as fast as we could. Ponies on our tails, ears pinned back, teeth bore. My husband and his daughter, Becs, were much smarter than Tom and I as they stayed in the car, where it was safe from pissed off ponies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was chased by a new forest pony for no reason he had his teeth bared and was determined to bite my bum, It was bloody scary