Friday, March 9, 2007

Ponies, aren't they a Hoot!

This story is for those of us who has experienced the pleasure, or should I say the pain of owning a pony. Clorox is a Shetland pony and by reputation, Shetland ponies are deviate and this little guy is no exception. I can't count the number of times I've driven home after a 12 hour night shift and nearly been home and think to myself as I'm driving past the neighbor's pig farm, "Wow, that's a cute little pony standing out in their front yard." Followed by a streak of panic, "Oh Poop! That's my little pony standing in my neighbor's yard!" I think ponies are built with a genetic "Houdini" code. This boy could escape Alcatraz. I've gotten more exercise chasing this little bugger around the county. If you look at those eyes closely, you can see the devil himself staring right back at you. Anyway, One morning, apparently while I was still at work, Clorox, once again escaped. My husband , who works at home, was aroused from his desk by Dakota, my quarter horse gelding, racing up and down the pasture, screaming like a banchy. He would then plant himself at the end of the pasture that meets the road, look down the road and scream some more. Finally, curiosity got the best of Steve and decided to investigate and it took him a moment to realize that the "Houdini" was on the lamb. He found him 2 miles down the road about to enter a relatively busy highway.To this day, I still don't know how he managed to catch Clorox and get him home. What's worse is when this pony would escape during the winter months, snow on the surrounding fields. He's all white. It was like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Clorox must have the thickest skin. Most of my fence is electric equine tape, three rows, and he wasn't that small (about 12 hands) but he could squeeze through that fence like it wasn't there. Or he decided that the belt was worth the freedom.

No comments: