Sunday, June 15, 2008
If Only and Energy Efficiency
I was thinking today about what I would like to do to help the energy crisis and the family budget if only I could afford it.
1. Change the windows that are not double glazed ( and rotting away slowly but surely ) . About 1/2 our windows are not done.
2. Change car to a new Hybrid model or much more fuel efficient.
3. Install a solar or wind powered energy system.
4. Increase the insulation and in some cases put insulation in place ( will do this year as within our budget.
Things we have done
1. Less visits to shops and better organised using a list ( still slip up and buy extras )
2. Get cars serviced to make what we have more fuel efficient
3. Very little use of the truck only when it is needed for specific task
4. Dropped the temperature down 2 degrees on the thermostat in the winter
5. Replaced most light bulbs with the new style lower wattage bulbs
6. Turned of spare computers off when not using them.
7. The family in general has become much better at turning TV's , Lights and other electrical goods off when not in use.
8. As we have replaced appliances have been much more conscious of energy efficiency for new appliance.
9. Replaced old 100 year old furnace with more modern energy efficient model.
Are there any other ideas for things we could do in budget or out of budget and what would you do if you had the money to be more energy efficient.