Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Best Layed Plans

First, for those of you who asked, here is the recipe for the pasta shrimp salad. Two pounds medium pasta shells, cooked. One large bag or two small bags frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed & deveined. About two tablespoons of McCormick Salad Supreme spice, give or take, to taste. And about a cup of Miracle Whip, NOT Mayonnaise, must be Miracle Whip. Mix all together and chill for a couple of hours and there ya go!
There was a magnificent rainbow directly after the second storm that went through. It was still raining behind me, but this was so gorgeous and it only lasted a few minutes.

A little Gold Finch appeared shortly after the third storm.
And onto what we didn't do. We didn't go to the party, because besides the storms and flash flood warnings, Semi trucks jack knifed on the freeway we would need to take, my Kola decided to stress colic. She layed down directly after the first storm. I hollered out to her and she stood up, walked a circle and had a huge very normal poop, but then layed down again with that look on her face. I grabbed the pro-bio and a halter and went out to give it to her and she was clearly stressed. I gave the pro-bio and she was standing in the shelter. I checked her for gut sounds, which she had and decided to give her some Banamine, a decent dose and watch for an hour before I make that call. She perked up a bit. A couple more storms and by 6pm, she was nickering at me for food. This all started at about 3pm. I will watch her closely tonight. I did throw a bit of hay to them, partially to keep them occupied from the storms and she did poop, so I thought it might help to relieve her stress. I don't know, damned if you do and damned if you don't. I called Jess for advice and she immediately thought of her old mare Black, who suffered from stress colic all the time. She suggested adding Thiamine supplements to her diet and changing to pelleted food. So since I must work the next two days, we will promptly look for the right stuff tonight on line and early next week for the feed. What a day!



17 comments:

Jessie said...

What will you do with all that pasta salad now that you have no party to take it to?? I know, I'll come help you eat it!

I hope your mare feels better, worrying about sick horses is the worst.

Mrs. Mom said...

Goofy mare.... Sure hope she heals up and quits stressing there Callie. And DAYUM be careful out there.

Please, be careful out there...

Wish some of that blasted rain would come HERE. All around us today, the storms would build and grow, and POW- split around us and go to the south west of us. *sigh*... At least we do not have to mow the lawn. We can save on gas that way.

BTW- it hit just shy of $4 per gallon here today..... Got me really thinking about that scooter sitting in the shed....!!

Callie said...

jessie, I'll probably bring it to work tomorrow. She's still nickering at me after her dinner, so I'm fellin' better about it.

mrs.mom, She is goofy and succeeds in causing me stress! I would gladly send you some rain!!! We beat you on the gas prices long ago. Average here for about two weeks now has been $4.29 :(

cdncowgirl said...

Hope your girl is feeling better when you read this. Have to ask, what is pro-bio? Also, I've heard of banamine but never used it... is it an injection, paste, pills?

Not good at doing the conversions from litres to gallons, and then there's the fact that apparently Canadian gallons are different than US gallons BUT I heard on the radio today that if you do all the conversions our gas is around $5 a US gallon. :(

Unknown said...

I hope she is feeling better now. It was a hard night for both of you. Hope you'll find the good solution.

Callie said...

CDNcowgirl, ProBiotic is it'ws real name. It's more like a gel-paste and comes in a tube. It's kind of like Dannon Activia yogurt, but for horses "Beneficial bacteria, yeast culture, enzymes and fructooligosaccharides (FOS) to enhance digestive tract and horse health" Banamine can come in injectable form from the vet. I have it in a paste, given to me from vet. It's like Bute, however I think I read 4 times as potent and actually good for gut pain.



Thanks,Portraits, she seems to be back to her normal talkative self this morning!

Victoria Cummings said...

I don't blame Kola for getting stressed out. After we got hit by lightning, the storms stress me out too! Glad that she's relaxing. Weren't we looking forward to summer? What happened?

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

You have been kept on the run haven't you? The storms seem so severe this year. Luckily for us, even though we got a week of rain that caused some damage, we haven't had anything severe.

We need to figure out how to blow some of this moisture to Mrs Mom-LOL.

Sounds like you have products you like when it comes to the stress colic but if you are ever in the market for something else-you might want to try Frank Lamphley's White Lightening. We have had great success with it. Girl, that stuff works wonders in my opinion.

Grey Horse Matters said...

What a day is right! Hope she is feeling better today. The pasta shrimp salad sound delicious, I'll give it a try. The picture of the rainbow is lovely, I'll be there are leprechauns at either end or maybe they are somewhere hiding in your yard still! Glad you guys decided to stay home, better safe than sorry.

Anonymous said...

I think not going to the party was the best choice. I am glad Kola is feeling better! Poor thing. Storms stress out my guy too. If you are going to add a suppliment in for the gut take a peak at ABC plus. I love it. My guy never has had gut issues (the tendon, cancer, and terrible scar tissue in his throat is enough to keep me plenty worried) but it was recomended to me back when I was showing him as more of a preventative. I read about it and loved it so he got put on it. We have a horse at the barn where I work who gets gas colic at least 2x a year. I recomended ABC plus to his owner and he has been fine for 18 months now. I really just like it because it is not very expensive and comes in a pellet form. Tell Kola that we are all glad she is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I will try your shrimp salad sounds good!
Fuel, prices are terrible here too! I have a Ford F 350 Diesel! It is outrageous what it costs to fill it up! I'm thinkin of going back to hitchin posts and wagons!

Pony Girl said...

Sorry to hear your mare was so stressed...I know you have been through that before (as you are well-prepared!) I am sure the storms are difficult, I know they wreck havoc on me, I tend to get headaches or migraines with the weather changes (drop in pressure, etc.)
I feel like summer will never get here!!

Callie said...

Thanks, everyone, for the encouraging words and the supplement suggestions. I think I'll order the Thiamine supplement first and restock my probio. May even get the ABC stuff. Will have a look around the net a bit and weigh all options. Thanks again, all!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh-another Mircle Whip devotee.
Glad your mare is better. Guess she just wants to keep you on your toes since you have *nothing else* to do! :)
Jamie

Midlife Mom said...

Oh the dreaded colic. I go the banemine route usually and it works well. Will have to check into some of the other stuff that your commenters suggested. I saw the probiotic stuff at the tack shop this morning but didn't know what it was for. I wonder, is it like Fast Trac the supplement I put in Big Bud's grain? Have you used Fast Trac? It's a probiotic product. I get it at Blue Seal but I have never used it for colic.
Please bring me some of that pasta salad tonight for my supper!!!

Callie said...

Yeah, Naughty four legged children!

Haven't used fast trac, but the probiotic paste is great. It's live dannon activia, but for equines. They also make it for goats and cattle. I used it once for the goats when they had diarrhea.

kdwhorses said...

Girl, what craziness there! Silly mares! Glad she is okay!
The shrimp pasta salad sounds wonderful, will have to get the stuff to make it!
I just love the rainbows after the rain, but they do not last long here either!
BTW-Diesel is $4.79 a gallon here. Asseine I tell ya!!