Monday, June 30, 2008

Washington DC

These are just a quick sampling of some of the things we saw at Washington DC. I have tons of pictures. We did enjoy ourselves. We walked miles! My front of my calves were on fire! It wasn't overwhelmingly hot as the dew point dropped when we were there. It is one of the strangest cities I've ever been to and I used to live in Chicago and Phoenix. I've been to London and New Orleans several times. And by strange I mean, street people and panhandlers. At least 4 per block! And crime! God forbid you might reach for a camera during a motorcade. The Secret Service hang out their windows with rifles. Must have been someone real important. Sunday night we got in fairly late as our flight was delayed by two hours, so we just wandered down to the White House and Washington Monument quickly. Monday we walked down to the National Mall where the Smithsonian Museums are. Managed the Air and Space, Native American and Natural History Museums. Tuesday, another walk to the Mall and an Art Museum, National Archives and Ronald Reagan Convention Center and Tuesday evening a twilight bus tour of the city and stops at the Memorials (Jefferson, WW2, FDR, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean & Irwogima Memorials). Wednesday, a day at the Holocaust Museum and dinner at the Old Ebbit Grill and home Thursday. A good trip and manged to see a lot. I was disappointed in the two mile long National Park that runs from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial as the grass and sidewalks were bad and grubby. Kind of embarrassing. The American History Museum was closed for remodeling and that was really disappointing. We satyed at the Hilton Garden Inn just two blocks from the White House. It's dangerous in the late evening around there for all the thugs. What I found interesting was there are no skyscrapers as by law, no building can exceed 130 feet in height. Every important building is surrounded by huge cement planters as protection against terrorism since 911. Zoe thought people there in general were not very friendly. I didn't notice that. Some tourist's are incredibly rude. Using flash photography when they are not allowed in the Archives really pissed me off. I thought the Security Police at the Archives were incredibly nice and patient with all of the people. General traffic is blocked from entering about a 2 block radius around the White House, however you can walk around there. All and all, glad I went just once, to I've been.

The Jefferson Memorial.

The Lincoln Memorial.

The closest thing I could find to a horse.

The Spirit of St. Louis.

The White House.

7 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

It's amazing how our leaders are surrounded by the downtrodden on a daily basis and continue to make the choices they do regarding the spending of our tax money.

My daughter went to Washington DC to play in a band at Bush's 2nd inauguration. She said that she and her friends went to a restaurant and discovered that the Secret Service was searching everyone because Bush was arriving to eat there. She and her friends ended up going to a yogurt stand because the line was too long.

Glad you had a good time.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Whew, that was a lot of things to see and a lot of walking. It always amazing to me that the areas around the White House have some of the worst crime rates in the country. It's good to see it once but it's nice to be home I'll bet.

Callie said...

NuzMuz, I agree, I think they chose DC to put it in their face, but still they don't see.

Arlene, I was shocked. And yes, it is nice to be home. I love being home!

photogchic said...

You got a lot done! I have never been, but it sounds a little surreal. Nice to have you back.

Callie said...

Photochic, I think that if anyone has the chance, inspite of how weird it is, they should go. There are some really fantastic things to see!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Someday I would like to see all of that as well. I have never been "back east".
Thanks for sharing the photos-they always seem more interesting when you see them taken by someone you know-LOL.

Jax said...

I live near DC and let me tell you, I'd rather walk around there at night (and have!) than downtown Baltimore or even some of the suburbs!
Steve, sorry you didn't get to see anything remotely related to a horse. There was a Horse art exhibit at one of the museums, I believe, but perhaps it had moved on before you visited. Better luck next time, and glad you enjoyed the great 'back east'!