Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Well, I Think Miss Misty............


Is headed for an early retirement.......... She's semi retired anyhow as I only ride in the arena here at home these days, but she definitely struggles after that early December knee injury. I can see it when she sprints out to pasture. I know there is scar tissue inside interfering with her flexion of that knee, no brainer there. But it doesn't take much for her to tweak it. Doesn't really swell up, but I've been watching her for weeks and I can see the ever so slightly detectable lameness in that leg and this afternoon when coming in to eat, both Steve and I saw her tweak it and hop in a couple of steps. She was still able to move forward, but I saw the, "Oops, Ouch!". So I didn't mess about and just plopped some poultice on her tonight, no stalling, though. I don't think that does her any good, but waste muscle. We'll see, but my gut says no riding from me, maybe a few light weight rides with Steve or any kids that happen to visit, but that will be it. I really don't think her knee will tolerate it and YES she has been on glucosamine for over a month and YES she has been trimmed for knee injury........Oh, well........I said it really doesn't matter, I love her anyhow and she will always stay with me even as a lawn ornament and a good horsey kisser and cuddler. She is definitely Mama's girl..........Kola will see more riding this year, anyhow and she needs it. I love my little red and I won't ride her in pain or give her anything to mask it either so that I can.

12 comments:

Jeni said...

awww that sucks.

cheyenne jones said...

Yeah, too bad, but she deserves retirement and to be loked after.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. I'm the eternal optimist though, maybe with lots of time off and all the good care she gets she'll come around someday. You never know is my motto. Poor Misty, good luck with this situation.

Callie said...

Thanks, All, You might be right, Arlene, you never know. She is only 15 after all, but I'll play it by ear, I know I certainly won't be putting any weight on her this year and it really hasn't even been 6 months yet, maybe I'm inpatient. As long as she keeps moving forward and eats and doesn't appear to be in pain. I'm sure she has sore days, more evident than others sometimes. That's why when I saw the hop, I put on the poultice right away. IceTight is awesome stuff.

Jean said...

So sorry, but maybe time off will help. As long as the poultice helps, that's great. She's a lucky girl to have such a caring and gentle owner to watch over her.

John and Regina Zdravich said...

It really is sad that you won't be able to ride her anymore...but she is going to be a fantastic "pet"!!!

Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful horse mom you are Callie! You really look into whats going on with your two gals and do what needs to be done or what not should be done. Hopefully she will come around, she is only 15 and has lots of years ahead of her so there is time. What do you make the poultice out of and how do you apply it? I have never seen that done and want the knowledge.

Yes the lake house is coming along good. It's going to be nicer then it was before as there are new materials and such out since it was built 20 some years ago. After I got over the initial shock of it all it has been kind of fun watching it come back to life. I do wish the demolishion people had tried to save more things that they just threw into the dumpster but that's water under the bridge.

Callie said...

Midlife Mom, It's called IceTight, I get at Tractor Supply Company. Comes in a tub and it's real creamy. Leg injuries, start at top and smooth it down the entire leg, going with the grain of the hair, Not against it. I go from top to bottom, 12 hours on and 12 hours off. Works real well! It's kind like Ben-gay or Deep Heating rub for horses, helps to reduce swelling and pain.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww...poor Misty. I know all about those darn weak knees. I truly believe that once you seriously injure them, they are never quite the same again...and will probably keep getting reinjured.

Good for you being so caring about her and wanting to keep her comfortable and happy, though. :-)


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ice Tight sounds a lot like Sore No More, which is what I've been using on my knee on the recommendation of a good friend. It also says that it can be used on horses and is sold in huge containers, too.
I can vouch for this stuff. It made my last Competitive Trail ride doable. I almost thought I wouldn't be able to ride due to pain and swelling in my knee and soreness in my hip.
But it worked immediately...and after two days of using the cream, I was cured of that particular pain and stiffness!
I ordered more to be sure that I never run out. Good stuff!


~Lisa

Anonymous said...

That's too bad...poor Misty. Those kinds of injuries are hard to take. I'll bet she makes a great puppy dog! I had one that followed me around the yard.

Victoria Cummings said...

Misty is lucky that you aren't the kind of owner who will push to ride her. And time can be a great healer. Many years ago, Silk had a suspensory ligament injury and it was almost a year before it healed and I could ride her. I like the sound of Ice Tight. I'll have to check it out. I can just hear Kola complaining to her buddy - "Why'd you have to go and tweak yourself? Now, I have to do all the hard work!"